Let me say right off the bat, that I have blatantly stolen these descriptions of the libations assembled for the Rancho Winslow Thanksgiving Feast, from the producer’s websites and numerous other sources, especially Wine Enthusiast. I lack the wine vocabulary and critical ability to describe wines in this detail, but I DO know what I like. The goal of everyone was to bring wines that would go with the meal, which were of a reasonable quality, and not oppressively expensive (most were in the $10 range, or even less). We certainly succeeded in satisfying that goal. Every single bottle was delicious, and I would recommend them all. The top line gives the label details, the second line is locale, the third line is any rating that I could find, and the ABV, with the description below. There wasn’t a stinker in the whole batch. The libations are listed in their order of consumption.
Hops and Grains Alt-Eration
· A base of German Pilsner malt with hefty portions of Munich, Vienna, and a touch of de-bittered black malt. It has a classic upfront maltiness with a clean and crisp finish. Hopped with Mt. Hood, Hallertauer Hersbrucker, and Czech Saaz to provide a bitterness and level of earthy hop spice that plays a fancy partner to the classic German malt backbone. A 2012 World Beer Cup Gold Medal winning Altbier
El Gobernador Sidra Natural
· Bottled at Arucas Sideria in Villaviciosa, Asturias. Mild to medium must; medium acid; bitter green apple flavor, very peel and skin-like in its astringency and greenness. Juicy up front but quickly drying late. Medium bitterness and lingering oily / filmy finish. Presents the fruit well.
25.4 ounce bottle, corked
Fâmega Caves da Cerca Vinho Verde 2013
88 pts · 10.5%
· Pale straw. Fresh pear, quince, anise and lime zest on the nose. Fizzy and bracingly crisp on the palate, the bright apple and citrus flavors showing impressive cut and energy. Finishes firm, long and delicious, with lingering notes of minerals and citrus peel. Blend: Avesso, Azal, Pedernã, and Treixadura.
Fuedi de San Gregorio Falanghina 2011
90 pts · 13%
· Pale gold with green highlights. Elegant, intense aromas of apple, banana and pineapple with hints of white flowers. Medium-bodied with a lingering finish of citrus and minerals. 100% Falanghina
Layercake Chardonnay 2012
Monterey-Santa Barbara, CA
90 pts · 14.1%
· The nose jumps right to rich, creamy lemon pie in the oven, with all the warm pastry aromas riding along. Rich layers of flavor fill the mouth; ripe Bartlett pears, brioche, hazelnut praline and grilled pineapple followed by a lingering, creamy, citrus finish. Crisp on the nose, rich and layered in the mouth, and clean acidity
Charles & Charles Volume II Rosé 2013
90 pts · 12.7%
· The 2013 Rosé is a gorgeous and vibrant pink color with streaks of salmon and fushia edges. Wild strawberry and watermelon aromas are interwoven with Herbs de Provence, citrus and mineral notes. Blend: 86% Syrah, 6% Cinsault, 4% Grenache, 2% Counoise, 2% Mourvedre
La Vielle Ferme Cotes du Ventoux Rouge 2013
88 pts · 13.5%
· A blend of Grenache, Syrah, Carignan and Cinsault, richly fruity and supple wine, ruby-purple colored, with aromas of cassis and spicy herbs, flavors of plum, blackberry, and currant, with a fresh finish. Jumbo bottle.
Bodegas Ateca Honoro Vera Garnacha 2012
90 pts · 14%
· Big, fresh and ready to drink. A deep crimson color that is nearly opaque at its core, with ripe red berry fruit aromas with a mix of red currants, raspberry, and black cherry backed with pleasant mineral notes. A full mouth feel with intense red berries and tart fruit character followed with a lush finish. Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Deals of 2014. 100% Garnacha
Lechuza Garnacha 2012
90 pts · 14.5%
· Beautiful scents of violets and blueberry are met by rich flavors of blackberry and wild strawberry. A full throttle wine with big flavors and rich texture. Full bodied with smooth, harmonious tannins, and a long, lingering finish.
dunno who brought it, tasted good though
Cellier des Dauphins Cotes du Rhone 2013
85 pts · 13.5%
· 85% grenache, 15% Syrah; Deep red berry colored, it has fruity and floral fragrances, spicy and pepper flavor. Rich mouth-filling wine, tannic, long finish. Ruby red; ripe berry aroma; light body berry flavor.
Siduri Pinot Noir Willamette 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
91 pts · 12.4%
· Fruit forward with bright red cherry and raspberry, medium body, subtle hints of forest floor and a long, lingering finish
Sledgehammer Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
North Coast, CA
86 pts · 13.5%
· Deep crimson, with aromas of blackberry, currants, clove, and cinnamon. Rich and smooth with a full body and juicy dark fruit, ripe plum and star anise flavors, balanced with smooth tannins and notes of briar patch on the long finish
mystery donor....tasted good
Rutini Trumpeter Malbec 2012
89 pts ·13%
· Rutini is one of the oldest wineries in Argentina. This dense, long-finishing wine offers notes of cherry, blackberry, sweet spice, cinnamon, plum, boysenberry and cardamom. Wine Enthusiast Best Buy. 100% Malbec
Papa's Pilar Dark Rum 24
91 pts · 86°
· Named after Hemmingway’s fishing yacht (and his second wife) this dark rum is solera-aged in French oak, port wine, bourbon, and Spanish wine barrels, and finished in Spanish sherry casks. The oldest column and pot-distilled rums in this blend of Caribbean, South American, and American rums are 24 years old. Sweet to start, with vanilla, caramel, and citrus, cinnamon, coffee, honey, and anise build in the middle, with a long, velvety sherry-port finish. Gold at S.F. International Spirits Festival 2013.